""s vermill""  wrote in message
> The Long and Winding Road wrote:
> > > The question sucks and so do the answer choices.  Eight
> > *addresses* per
> > > subnet or eight subnets?  If the former, a mask of
> > 255.255.255.248 would
> > be
> > > required - not 255.255.248.0.  If the latter, I'd go with you
> > (sorta).  Or
> > > perhaps a. if subnet zero weren't allowed for some reason
> > (but then you'd
> > > have 15 subnets plus subnet zero - not eight!).
> > >
> > > Nothing you do with a subnet mask makes a class B a class C.
> > If it was
> > > class B before you subnetted it, it isn't going to fall into
> > the class C
> > > range of addresses all of the sudden is it?  If by "class C"
> > they mean a
> > > subnet with 254 host addresses, your answer isn't right
> > either.  Your
> > > subnets (/21) would have 8190 hosts.  In that case, there
> > isn't a valid
> > > answer at all because a class B subnetted for 254 hosts will
> > have
> > somewhere
> > > in the neighborhood of 255 subnets.
> >

> > CL: I disagree. 172.16.0.0/21 gives you eight subnets, each
> > with a mask of
> > /24 - subnets 172.16.0.0/24 through 172.16.7.0/24, for example.
> > Think ISP /
> > BGP :-)
> >

> Chuck,
>
> Interesting.  As you pointed out,
>
> 172.16.0.0 /21 has networks:
>
> 172.16.0.0 - 172.16.7.255
> 172.16.8.0 - 172.16.15.255
> so on and so on.
>
> Each of which, of course, can be further subnetted to /24:
>
> 172.16.0.0 /24
> through
> 172.16.7.0 /24
>
> so on and so on..
>
> So I guess you came up with the most correct answer by looking ahead to
the
> next step.  I still think the question sucks.  If you subnet a class B
with
> a  /21 mask, you wind up with 2046 usable hosts until you subnet it
> further.  Somehow I came up with 8190 host for a /21 mask the first time
> around.  Don't know why I though /21 left 13 host bits?

CL: yeah, the point is that given ANY "class B" address, using a /21 ( .248
mask in the third octet  ) yields the possibility of 8 /24's

CL: OTOH, a /19 ( .224 in the third octet ) give you eight subnets, but they
are in no way shape or form anything close to "class C's"

CL: the N2-2 argument is really moot these days. According to the Cisco
docs, IP subnet-zero is now the default on routers. The "all ones" subnet
has not been an issue as long as I've been touching routers, dating back to
11.1 or so.

CL: if Cisco course materials are still using the old N2-2 philosophy with
regards to subnets, it is well past time for them to update the materials.
Tom?