If the test prep you are using is for the CCNA exam then "C" is the
correct
"Cisco" answer (the use of Class B/Class C terminology makes me think
this is the case). This is because Cisco still insists, at the CCNA
level, on
computing subnets using the formula 2^n-2.  This assumes that subnet
zero and the all ones subnet are unusable.  Therefore you have to create
16 subnets, resulting in 14 "usable" to get the required 8 subnets.

In the "real" world, 255.255.224.0 is correct.
BTW, what is the VLSM question here?

HTH,
Prof. Tom Lisa, CCAI
Community College of Southern Nevada
Cisco ATC/Regional Networking Academy
"Cunctando restituit rem"

Richard Burdette wrote:

  A prep test I am using has a question for which I disagree with the
  answer.
  Here is the question

  If I had a Class B address, what subnet mask would I use if I wanted
  split it into 8 class C addresses?

  a.255.255.240.0
  b.255.255.255.0
  c.255.255.248.0
  d.255.255.254.0

  The answer from the test is c.

  I think the answer is not even listed; 255.255.224.0 because to add
  eight
  additional subnets we need 2^3=8 bits of subnet which equates to 224
  of
  mask.  Am I right or wrong?

  Rich

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]