On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 14:34, s vermill wrote:
> On a W2k machine, I've tried several different recommendations for
adjusting
> the TCP receive window size.  None of them, including those directly from
> Microsoft, seem to have any impact.  I'm capturing my own traffic and my
> advertised window is always in the 64k range.

Are you trying to increase the max window or decrease it?  If you're
trying to increase it, you have to send data faster than it can be ack'd
by the server to see the effect.  If you're trying to decrease the
window, can you see spots in the TCP stream where your outstanding data
is greater than the max window?  What analyzer are you using?

> I've tried editing the \tcpip\parameters to include 'TcpWindowSize' and
> 'GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize' - neither of which had any effect.  I've tried
> editing \VxD\MSTCP to include 'DefaultRcvWindow' - also no effect.

The VxD thing is a windows-9x specific key and won't be used (or even
present) on win2000 under normal circumstances.

> Anyone know how to manipulate the rcv window that my machine will
> advertise.  For that matter, what about the other MS OSes?  XP?  Win98?

the MSTCP key you mentioned is what to use on 9x.

Our software does this and it works.  Also, many broadband providers publish
tech notes on how to do this sort of thing, since windows typically isn't
configured optimally for this out of the box.

Let me know if you need me to dig up code; otherwise, just try google.

 -sd