> An interesting side note:  Ethereal apparently doesn't support window
> scaling.

Do you mean the tcp window scale option or just the phenomenon of having
data outstanding?  You can always just count un-acked bytes for an idea
of how big the window is.  It's dyanmic, of course, and don't forget
about slow start, which says that during the start of a TCP connection,
the window starts out small and increases to the configured maximum.
Many of these parameters are tunable on some OSes, including (to a
certain extent) Windows.  I only use ethereal these days, and this is
what I do.

Understanding of Slow Start (and related algorithms) as defined in RFC
2001 is important in order to understand TCP performance
charasteristics.  For example, at an ISP I did network architecture for
a cuople of years ago, we really felt the pinch because of the way HTTP
operates - it makes lots of very short-lived connections.  This not only
causes an extra 3-way handshake and 4-way disconnect each time, but
*every* connection has to go through slow start.  This results in
extremely restricted throughput.

In other words, traffic flow was:
1  SYN--------->
2
4  HTTP GET---->
5
8
11
13 FIN--------->
14  I use a download test site that will tell you your rcv window if
> it remains consistent enough throughout the test.  It follows exactly what
> enter into the registry, whether above or below 65535.  However, when using
> a value above 65535 (such as 93360), Ethereal reports it only as 65535.
> This may have been why I was only "seeing" a range of 64420 - 65535
> earlier.  This further confused the situation.  Serves me right for using
an
> open-source PA, but the price is right.
>
> Thanks all for your insightful feedback.  You were a great help.  And I was
> able to do what I originally set out to - seriously restrict my download
> rates by manipulating this value.  I'm hopeful it will go a long way
towards
> demonstrating a very technical issue to somewhat non-technical people.
It's

--

Steve Dispensa