Larkin, Richard wrote:

> A much much much easier way is to use a PC, load the dummynet
> image on a
> floppy disk, then in about 5 minutes with the right
> configuration, you have
> a simulated WAN, including bandwidth and delay.
>
> Dummynet works on FreeBSD or, as we do, you can download the
> version that
> fits on a floppy and boot from it. We use it to teach our
> application
> developers the hard lesson that not everyone has 100Mbps link
> to the
> servers, most sites have 64kbps.
>
> Rik

That sounds very interesting and I'll look into it.  I'm still very
interested to learn how to do what I originally set out to do, but I fear
the discussion could get a little too OT for some folks' taste. I should
probably go find a good MS list to bother.

I will say that in the last half hour, I was able to effect a small change
in the upward direction of the window size (less than a full max segment
size) using the TcpWindowSize key but am still coming up with nothing in the
downward direction.  For what it's worth, the small upward change resulted
in a non-integer multiple of the max segment size, whereas before, the
window was always exactly an integer multiple of the MSS.  The window is now
typically reporting at exactly 0xffff (65535).  It was typically at 64240
previously, which happened to be the MSS (1460) * 44.  This after I changed
the above referenced key to 0x1f5e0 (128480).  So there seems to be a valid
range between 64240 & 65535.  I'm obviously doing something wrong or there
is a W2k Pro bug.

Thanks again for the info on dummynet.  I'd never heard of it.

Hey, I'm surprised no one has taken the opportunity to convert me to
Unix/Linux!?  I'm sure this is much easier in that world.  It's on my list
of technologies to master.  Sigh...