I suppose a CCIE is sort of a Ph.D. of networking. Studying for and taking
the written is the equivalent of coursework, then doing hands-on to prepare
for the lab is like research for your dissertation, the the lab test
represents the oral exam. But I wouldn't stretch the analogy too far. For
one thing the quality and difficulty of computer science graduate schools
varies greatly. Just getting into one of the top programs is probably harder
than CCIE. And for another the two programs don't really test the same
skills, do they? (Though they surely overlap)