At 6:37 PM +0000 12/18/02, Mic shoeps wrote:
>Hello
>
>I've been arguing with a collegue of mine which one would be tougher to
>achieve. I told him that it would be much more harder to have a computer
>science or a networking degree (you have to take the GRE and complete 2 or 3
>years of school works) than a CCIE, but my collegue think other wise. He
>literally believes that having a CCIE is equivalent of having a Ph.d in
>Networking. I'd like to hear your thought.

Offhand, I know of two joint PhD/CCIEs, Dima Krioukov and Pete
Welcher. I'm sure there are more. Perhaps they are monitoring and
could comment.

But let's look at some especially important PhD dissertations, and
compare them to CCIE:

   Radia Perlman:
http://www.lcs.mit.edu/publications/pubs/pdf/MIT-LCS-TR-429.pdf
   Steve Deering:
http://www.tux.org/pub/net/ftp.ee.lbl.gov/sigcomm/sigcomm.ps
   Vern Paxson:   http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/paxson97measurements.html

The content of many protocol RFCs is at a level that might be
associated with PhD level research, although some of the most
productive people with both operational and theoretical knowledge are
college dropouts.  Look through the list of RFCs and see how many
that someone with a CCIE, and no theoretical* training could write.

For example, we have fairly strong data that the path vector approach
of BGP will not continue to scale as the Internet becomes more highly
interconnected and there is more churn/flap.  It's not directly a
problem of the number of routes, but their interaction.  A reasonable
dissertation would propose the theory of a protocol to replace BGP,
with some experimental backup.

*By theoretical, I don't mean as is often used on the list: "how the
protocol works and what are its messages."  I mean WHY the protocol
is designed the way it is, what alternatives were rejected, the
problems it solves, etc.