> I've been arguing with a collegue of mine which one would be tougher to
> achieve. I told him that it would be much more harder to have a computer
> science or a networking degree (you have to take the GRE and complete 2 or
3
> years of school works) than a CCIE, but my collegue think other wise. He
> literally believes that having a CCIE is equivalent of having a Ph.d in
> Networking. I'd like to hear your thought.

I have a BA and have been blocked for a number of years on my MS in comp
sci.  The
CCIE cert has meant much more to my career than any of the school-related
stuff, in
a direct sense:  it allows me to get jobs/engagements/etc, and none of the
jobs i'm
interested in have required completion of the MS.

If you were more interested in theoretical work, or perhaps with some
employers
(with dubious ability to evaluate a candidate), the degrees would be much
more
important.

This *only* applies in the field of computer networking, though.  If you
want to do
anything else, the CCIE is pretty worthless.  Even in the networking world,
the
thought leadership doesn't much care about certs - witness IETF, NANOG, etc
- nobody
there mentions or cares about CCIE.

Also, i have found in my career that many CCIEs (to say nothing of the rest)
don't
have a sound theoretical grounding at all.  Things you learn in CS school
really
are important - queuing theory, optimization problems, statistics, problem
complexity,
and even (in particular) programming.  You don't truly understand network
protocols
until you've done network programming IMHO.

CCIE is a certification for people who like to get their hands dirty with
routers.
CCIEs are the best in the world at fixing broken networks, setting up new
ones, and
so on.  They're *not* necessarily any good at anything else.  This is a big
difference
from a Ph.D. or MS, which imply a solid, broad theoretical base in addition
to an area
of expertise.

 -sd
(CCIE #5444)