Four to six years ago I would have highly agreed with your friend
in saying that the CCIE is much more difficult to obtain than most
if not all degrees.

However, with the developments over the recent years and popularity
of the CCIE it has been commoditized. This cert use to
be of a nature that represented a greater value and higher standard for
those of us in this industry. I am not speaking for everyone. I have not ran
across a CCIE (with the exception of a very few) in the past three to four
years that could hold their ground "at equal rate"; as Socrates would put
it. I can only imagine the extent of backlash of comments from people on
this list.

I encourage all those who wish to pursue the CCIE whether it be for their
own personal reasons or for the monetary value. There is a great deal of
credibility to obtaining a CCIE cert but it has become much easier to obtain
in recent years.

If I have offended anyone for my comments I wish to extend my apologies now
as it was not my intent to do so.