The interface configs look fine. Can you ping each others IP address? Do
show int to see if there's any interface errors as well.

Why is your broadcast address showing 0.0.0.0 on R1?

> interface FastEthernet1/0
>  ip address 172.16.0.2 255.255.0.0
>  ip broadcast-address 0.0.0.0

It should be 255.255.255.255, this could be a problem. Maybe you need ip
subnet-zero command for this to work.

I see you have no access lists set so that can;t be the problem.

I have a pair of 7200's doing hsrp and both of them show they've joined the
multicast group of 224.0.0.2  and both have broadcast 255.255.255.255.
showing.