Actually, if there is no NetBios Name Server (WINS), all the clients will
resort to broadcast (B-node) resolution (m-node, h-node) or simply fail
(p-node). I'd recommend checking out the following Microsoft KB articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;102725

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;119493

The first link describes the LMHOST file located on all Windows clients,
which might be your savior here if the network is small enough (simply add
the DC to the LMHOST file and reboot).  The other describes Netbios naming
in general.

I agree with James' statement about a DC on each subnet.  It really seems to
help legacy Windows networks.