Hi Priscilla,

You may want to try this if you have not solved the issue.

Edit the LMHOST to add the following entry.

a.b.c.d                #PRE    #DOM:

The description of the #PRE and #DOM usage is in the lmhosts.sam file.

Reboot the the computer to ensure that the entry is loaded into the
cache.  You can confirm this by executing this command at the command
prompt: nbtstat -c

Your description of the problem is similar to what I experienced 3 years
ago while supporting NT 4.0 Workstations.  We have DNS and WINS server
setup at each remote location but the mobile users were unable to logon
to their DC when they were out of their offices.

HTH,
cheekin