MTU 1500 means that the network layer datagram size is 1500 max.  For IP
this is the IP datagram including IP header and transport (TCP/UDP)
header  and data.  Fragmentation occurs at the IP level and only the IP
header is duplicated (except offset, checksum etc) into each fragment.
The TCP/UDP headers are merely the first part of the data as far as IP
is concerned and are therefore left untouched.
HTH
Marc