Steven A. Ridder wrote:

> Does anyone know if a packet is fragmented, that the specific
> values in a
> field are replicated across all headers of the fragmented
> packets, or just
> the first one?
>
> Meaning, if I have a packet that has IP Prec 5, and a router
> along the way
> has to fragment the packet, would it be so kind as to put IP
> Prec on all the
> headers?

Yes, it should. Per RFC 791, a router (or gateway as the RFC calls it)
copies the contents of the header fields from the original datagram into the
new headers of all the fragments. Of course, the following fields may
change, however:

      (1) options field
      (2) more fragments flag
      (3) fragment offset
      (4) internet header length field
      (5) total length field
      (6) header checksum

Also, with the options field, options may or may not be copied into each
fragment. There's a bit that the sender can set saying whether they must be
or not. But in general, all bits and bytes are copied into each fragment IP
header.

Prscilla