From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 5:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: fragmentation question [7:60643]

Mossburg, Geoff (MAN-Corporate) wrote:

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

OK, you're wrong. :-) Look it up or use a protocol analzyer.

> All the "fragments" have the TCP/UDP/IP headers, or else they
> can't be
> routed to their destination.

Routing to their destination just requires the IP header, which is in each
fragment. The TCP or UDP headers are not in the fragments, past the first
one. The IP layer at the end device puts it all back together and hands the
packet to the TCP or UDP layer. TCP or UDP get the full packet and can
"route" it to the correct process, based on the destination port number.

> "Fragmentation" is just a way of breaking up the data payload
> into smaller

Data payload from IP's point of view.

> packets, but it puts individual headers on each packet.
> MTU is the total size of each packet, including the header.

The term isn't always used that way, though.