Well, um, yes.  Although I removed us as part of the problem as soon as
I noticed we were.  :-)

>>> "The Long and Winding Road"
01/28/03 02:36PM >>>
sorry, Ken, I've read so much crap about saphire and 1434 the last
couple of
days that I forget who said what. sorry for misrepresenting you as a
result
of my frazzled brain.

given the large installation of MS SQL devices on your campus, may we
blame
you and your wards for the problem?  ;->

Chuck

--
TANSTAAFL
"there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"

""Ken Diliberto""  wrote in message
> Chuck,
>
> If I'm the Ken you're talking about and I actually said that, then I
> must really need a nap.  :-)
>
> We're a university, where Microsoft rules.  :-(
>
> I'd like to tell you how many MS-SQL servers we have, but I don't
have
> a clue.  There are probably some running in the dorms.  We have
entire
> labs where this stuff is installed so they can teach it.
>
> I'd like to tell you how many machines have the MSDE installed, but
> again I don't have a clue.  Did I mention dorms?
>
> Changing the way the campus conducts "network" business is a
difficult
> task.  I'm doing a lot of educating - to the campus technicians.
By
> this time next year, I hope to say we have 75% of the campus
firewalled.
>  While that may sound easy, it may be wishful thinking.  Although...
> this worm might really make a difference in my timeline.  :-)
>
> BTW, by now, one of my access-lists has probably broken the billion
> mark for blocking UDP 1434.  That's only internal traffic.
>
> A question I have:  Is anyone learning anything from my rambling?
If