Maybe this is a silly question considering where I work, but is it
common for huge banks to connect their ATMs to their data centers over
the Internet?  We certainly don't do that, and wouldn't even consider
doing it, so I was surprised that BofA appears to be doing just that.

Then again, they probably have twenty times more ATMs than we do, so
perhaps they have different issues to be considered.

John

>>> "Priscilla Oppenheimer"  1/27/03 11:24:42 AM

Good points. How much bandwidth goes to some of the remote ATMs?
Probably
very little. They probably got crunched by the huge number of UDP
packets.

Of course, better filtering would have prevented that.

But there's no need to assume that BoA runs MS-SQL or to worry that
private
info was compromised, etc. DoS attacks usually have very little to do
with
privacy compromises.

Not claiming to be a security expert, so just correct me if I'm way
off
base! :-)

Prisiclla