""John Neiberger""  wrote in message
> Maybe this is a silly question considering where I work, but is it
> common for huge banks to connect their ATMs to their data centers over
> the Internet?  We certainly don't do that, and wouldn't even consider
> doing it, so I was surprised that BofA appears to be doing just that.
>
> Then again, they probably have twenty times more ATMs than we do, so
> perhaps they have different issues to be considered.

Well, let's apply some logic and reason to what we know about the saphire
work and the BOA situation.

Saphire is launched from compromised Microsoft SQL servers. The attach
consists of generating IP traffic using UDP port 1434. The traffic consists
of the inquiries to what is described as "pseudo random" ip addresses, and
the ICMP replies to the traffic inquiries.

Knowing these things, we might guess that BOA, like many other businesses,
has Microsoft SQL servers.

1) Could those servers have been compromised? sure

2) could those compromised servers have been involved in generting tons of
traffic internal to BOA, even without the internet being involved? sure.

3) could routers on the internal BOA network, routers that carry IP
trraffic, also be carrying other traffic such as would be carrying ATM
transactions? sure.

4) recognizing that router overloads were happening everywhere as a result
of saphire, is it reasonable to think that the BOA network routers could
have been adversely effect, even if the internet were not involved? sure.

5) add to that what was happening on the internet. rogue SQL servers sending
their attacks randomly, and some of that traffic hitting the BOA internet
edge, and maybe being NAT'ed inside to add to traffic problems happening
already.

Look, when Nimda hit a year or so ago, some organizations just started
turning things off in order to control what was happening. I seem to recall
BOA did so, but to be frank, I am not certain of that.

I don't think it is a good idea to jump to a lot of conclusions here. I
highly doubt that even a stupid organization like Bank of America would be
running their ATM's across the internet ( just kidding, pals of mine who
work for BOA ) It is all too easy for corporate networks to come down in
situations created by Nimda or saphire.

in an earlier message, Ken spoke about his own network, where there are few
if any Microsoft SQL servers. Yet their internet links were saturated
because of the attacks, and internal network replies.

The key to protecting networks is understanding the nature of the threat.

BTW, there is a serious suggestion from someone on NANOG about denying any
and all Microsoft well known ports across the internet backbone. good idea?
I'm starting to think so.

What I hope is that attacks based on ports 80 and / or 53 aren't developed.
Thin how devastating those might be :-O