Steiven Poh-\(Jaring MailBox\) wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> This port is connected to my 2600 router, can anyone comment
> whether the
> bandwidth is healthy? Thanks

Bandwidth just means capacity. It can't be healthy or not healthy, although
the amount of bandwith could be inappropriate for the applications, either
more than is needed or not enough. Your bandwidth is 10,000,000 bits per
second. (See "BW 10000 Kbit" in the output). You are using 10 Mbps Ethernet.
It appears that the hardware supports Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) but you
aren't using it. Perhaps you don't need it.

Is your concern bandwidth UTILIZATION?

You don't seem to have a problem with bandwidth utilization, as shown by the
txload being 1/255 and the rxload being 2/255. Cisco expresses bandwidth
utilizaton (also known as load) as a fraction of 255 where 255 represents
the capacity.

What you should be looking at is reliability. Cisco is saying that the
reliability is 255/255, in other words "perfect," but we don't know how long
this switch has been running. Cisco uses a rolling exponential average so
perhaps everything was fine for a while but there have also been some
problems at some point, as indicated by the statistics lower down in the
output. So, don't just look at the reliabilty statistic. Look farther down.
These statistics are cause for concern:

4440080 runts. These are frames that arrived that are too short. They are
usually an indication that the sender encountered a collision. It tried to
send, noticed the collision, and backed off, leaving behind a runt. You have
received 76531109 packets. About 5 percent were runts. That's high.

Notice that the switch port is having a hard time sending also. The 513798
deferred represents the number of times the switch port tried to send but
couldn't because the medium was busy. On shared Ethernet, this will happen,
but that seems like rather often in your case.

Also, in a number of cases the switch did acquire the medium, but
encountered a collision nonetheless. See the 1999663 collisions. This is
normal on a very busy Ethernet, but seems high for this network.

The router has output 139742667 packet successfully. So its collision rate
is about 1 percent, which is somewhat high.

Anyway, is this a point-to-point link between the switch and the router? Why
don't you set it to full duplex? That way they each have a dedciated
transmit path and they don't have to worry about sensing the carrier to see
if someone else is sending (there isn't anyone else) and they shouldn't
encounter collisions.

Set both sides to full duplex, and traffic will have fewer problems.

There is also a somewhat high rate of output buffer failures and underrruns,
indicating that this switch is not keeping up with traffic. Is it a low-end
switch?

First solve the main problem (by using full duplex) and then keep an eye on
the buffer failures and underruns. If performance improves, which it
probably will, perhaps you can ignore the buffer failures and underruns for
now, but definitely keep an eye on them. You may need a faster switch or to
tune the switch with TAC's help.

HTH

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com