From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 1:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Catalyst 4000 and DHCP [7:62632]

Tunde Kalejaiye wrote:

> hi all,
>
> we just upgraded our network to a switched, a catalyst 4006 to be
> exact....some users have been getting 'no domain server
> available ....'
> error message. they usually have to try more than 4 - 6 times to
> successfully log on to the network.
> has anybody come across this problem before? what work around
> did u use
> besides configuring static ip addresses?
> thanks for your response(s) in advance

Your message title implies that there's a problem with DHCP, but then your
message text implies that the problem is with Windows networking,
specifically a client trying to reach the domain controller? (I assume you
mean the Windows type domain server and not the IP Domain Name System.)

So, verify for yourself and us that DHCP is working first. If the failure is
with DHCP, try the stuff other folks recommended. Enable portfast so that
the clients can start receiving replies to their DHCP request ASAP. Also,
you may need a helper address, depending on where your DHCP server is
located. Feel free to send us more info about your topology and
configuration.

Then, you have to get Winblows working. I did have all sorts of problems
getting this to work with a consulting client who had upgraded to VLANs.
Unfortunately, he fixed the problems in the end without my help, so I don't
know the details, one of the frustrating things about being a consulant. (A
lot of help that is. ;-) But you could look through some Group Study
messages from about a month ago. A bunch of folks had ideas to help. I think
the title of the thread was something about Windows Networking.

Here's one message that a wise person on the list sent' I've forgotten who,
sorry.

"Simplest solution is to put a WINS Server on the Subnet that can't find the
DC. Configure it to replicate with the DC on the other Subnet, or Statically
configure the Domain Name entry for the NT Domain on the WINS Server in the
troubled subnet. Your "DC Not Found" issue should be resolved then.

More Administratively intensive solution is to modify the LMHOSTS file to
have the following entry on every Windows Workstation/Server in the troubled
subnet.

IP.ADD.RE.SS MachineName #PRE #DOM:Domain-Name"

Microsoft has tons of documentation on this sort of thing.

Keep us posted! Thanks,

Priscilla

> Tunde
the sender by email, delete and destroy this message and its
attachments.