From: "Waters, Kristina"
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 11:58 AM
Subject: RE: Catalyst 4000 and DHCP [7:62632]

> I am curious as to whether anything else got upgraded
besides the new
> switch. I got the impression that this wasn't a problem
before the upgrade,
> in which case portfast could definitely be the culprit.
However, you could
> also see this error if DNS is improperly configured in a
win2k domain. Also,
> I'm not sure about this, but if the 4006 has a sup3 or
sup4, could the
> problem be related to layer 3?
>
> Kris

4006 to be
> > exact....some users have been getting 'no domain server
> > available ....'
> > error message. they usually have to try more than 4 - 6
times to
> > successfully log on to the network.
> > has anybody come across this problem before? what work
around
> > did u use
> > besides configuring static ip addresses?
> > thanks for your response(s) in advance
>
> Your message title implies that there's a problem with
DHCP, but then your
> message text implies that the problem is with Windows
networking,
> specifically a client trying to reach the domain
controller? (I assume you
> mean the Windows type domain server and not the IP Domain
Name System.)

> So, verify for yourself and us that DHCP is working first.
If the failure is
> with DHCP, try the stuff other folks recommended. Enable
portfast so that
> the clients can start receiving replies to their DHCP
request ASAP. Also,
> you may need a helper address, depending on where your
DHCP server is
> located. Feel free to send us more info about your
topology and
> configuration.
>
> Then, you have to get Winblows working. I did have all
sorts of problems
> getting this to work with a consulting client who had
upgraded to VLANs.
> Unfortunately, he fixed the problems in the end without my
help, so I don't
> know the details, one of the frustrating things about
being a consulant. (A
> lot of help that is. ;-) But you could look through some
Group Study
> messages from about a month ago. A bunch of folks had
ideas to help. I think
> the title of the thread was something about Windows
Networking.

> Here's one message that a wise person on the list sent'
I've forgotten who,
> sorry.
>
> "Simplest solution is to put a WINS Server on the Subnet
that can't find the
> DC. Configure it to replicate with the DC on the other
Subnet, or Statically
> configure the Domain Name entry for the NT Domain on the
WINS Server in the
> troubled subnet. Your "DC Not Found" issue should be
resolved then.

> More Administratively intensive solution is to modify the
LMHOSTS file to
> have the following entry on every Windows
Workstation/Server in the troubled

**********
> This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and
> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they
> are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify
> the sender by email, delete and destroy this message and
its
> attachments.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]