Tunde,

It sounds like your users are getting blocked by spanning tree on bootup.
Since the switch is spending ~50 seconds running spanning-tree before it
forwards any data, the DHCP requests aren't even getting through.

PortFast bypasses the usual spanning tree thing. It allows the port to
forward data almost as soon as its initialized. It a good idea to only use
portfast on a port to has an end node like a PC, server, or printer.

If your switch uses CatOS 7.1 or Native IOS 12.1(11)EX then it implements
Rapid spanning tree (802.1w) which shortens the time spent learning the
network before forwarding. You still need to use the portfast keyword to
configure the port as an edge port though. Here's a link about it:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094cfa.shtml

Hope this helps.
Karen