I think we need more info. Questions below...

DeVoe, Charles (PKI) wrote:

> I have a class B network subnetted using a 21 bit mask.  This
> network has 2
> connections to the internet, 1 is by a T3 the other is a 512K
> T1.  Each
> connection to the internet comes out of a subnet, goes through
> a firewall,
> and then through a Cisco 7200 router.  We have static routes in
> place to
> assure that the returning packets go to the proper firewall.  I
> don't know
> for sure if the routers connecting to the internet are running
> BGP or some
> thing else.  We have seen packets go out one interface and
> return on the
> other.

One interface of what? The 7200? Does the 7200 connect to multiple border
routers? Can you tell us more about that part of the topology?

> I suspect that something is not right with the border
> routers.  Any
> thoughts or suggestions?

It's very difficult to control how traffic comes back into your network over
the Internet. Entire books by Berkowitz, etc. have been written on this topic.

But it's not necessarily a problem. If the traffic all ends up at the 7200
and the 7200 is configured correctly with the static routes that you
mentioned, the traffic should end up at the right place. What problem are
you trying to solve?

By the way, John makes a really good point about pinhole congestion. See his
post too. Thanks.

Priscilla