At 8:06 AM +0000 2/13/03, Eric Rogers wrote:
>Just curious, but didn't this all start when a couple of vendors got into a
>pissing match over on the CCIE Lab list back when?

I'll leave it to Paul Borghese to decide how specifically to discuss
this, but the problem literally goes back for years.  Some of the
worst offenses have been moderated out of the queue, so you haven't
seen all of them.

Suffice it to say that I'd be delighted to see objective comparisons.
I'd personally not object to new product announcements (as distinct
from advertisements), as long as someone doesn't start announcing
every minor fix to keep their name in the spotlight.  After all,
vendors have their own support forums for that sort of thing.

Vendors have lots of people with substantial expertise, but some
and come across as flagging their product. There's nothing wrong with
people with interest in training materials or services making
informative responses -- offhand, most of the "old timers" do have
some product relationships.

There are also problems with people who have made very few, or even
zero, posts before they come out with an attack on a person or on a
product.

A complex issue is whether or not to have discussions on-list of
commercial scenarios.  If you don't have the workbook, the discussion
is apt to be impossible to follow.  If you describe the scenario in
enough detail that someone can reproduce it, some vendors may claim
illegal distribution. The only answer I can think of here is to
paraphrase the specific requirement, and show your own configs and
displays and ask specific questions.

What I don't want to see is personal attacks, or large volumes of
commercial materials. I don't want to see things that appear to
involve attempts at, or corrections to, piracy.

I haven't, for example, announced most of my CertZone tutorials to
avoid the appearance of conflict of interest. That leads to silly
situations like the present, where -- to violate my own rules -- I
have a tutorial there that is freely downloadable for the rest of the
month and bears on several discussions here. Incidentally, I do not
make the decision at CertZone of which materials go into the free
monthly post.

I've been more liberal in mentioning my books, because books are
inherently cheaper, and I think people know that author income from
conventionally published books is far less than from workbook sales.
Even then, I'll usually post some URLs to related materials.

I do agree with Chuck's point alone that thinking any one source of
training materials is adequate for CCIE, unless you have extensive
real-world experience, just isn't realistic.  If you can't afford
more than one source, then get involved in writing and exchanging
scenarios. That's a good exercise anyway -- after you write a
scenario that you think has a straightforward result and clear
instructions, you'll be amazed at how many people come back and say
it's unclear.