hi,

comments in-line:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Howard C. Berkowitz
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 2:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Does MLS (Layer 3 switching) require VLANs? [7:63147]

At 6:51 PM +0000 2/19/03, Vicky Rode wrote:
>comments in-line:

Big difference if the microprocessors (note plural) aren't doing
anything except forwarding, and run a real time OS. The key thing is
that you don't want forwarding going through the processor that runs
routing protocols, system management, etc.
-------------------------vicky>
true enough. but in my opinion it depends on what hw you have in play and
for what purpose. whether it is going to be classic line cards, switch
fabric cards or distributed forwarding cards and whether the packet
switching is going to be flow based or cef based. i guess one should have a
good understanding for what their network traffic looks like and a good
baseline before retrofitting to high powered hw which can be a big waste of
money and resources.

A real challenge is where to implement QoS, because it tends to get
beyond the complexity of a true ASIC and really has to be done in a
microcode-loaded processor.
----------------------vicky>
for me polling and gathering different qos snmp data variables has been a
challenge rather than hw issue, so i can't really comment on that.

>whereas in l3 switch it is done by asic in hw and
>mls is used to increase routing performance by doing packet switching and
>rewrites in hw (asics).

There's a bit of Cisco marketing-speak here, which was actually a
reaction to competitors who brought up the concept "switch if you
can, route when you must." Hardware and software technology have
moved on since then, and the line is much more blurred between the
two.  It's more important to think of separating the forwarding,
control, and upper layer services path (and being sure there's no
mutual interference) than it is to consider the actual hardware
processing elements (ASICs, microcoded or RISC processors, etc.)
-----------------------vicky>
in my opinion, what's important and necessary is control/forward plane
inter-relation.

that's all.

regards,
/vicky

This emphasis on ASICs also ignores a couple of common bottlenecks:
memory and fabric. To some extent, you can get around memory
limitations by having distributed memories for distributed
processors.  For the fabric, you can move from shared bus, to shared
memory, and eventually to crossbar (ignoring optical trends).

As I mentioned in a previous post that's partially below, you don't
necessarily need ASICs if you have enough distributed processors,
using the term "processor" to include microcode sequencers, FPGAs and
EA-FPGAs, etc.  In research prototypes, I've been involved in routers
that had true processors, running on the forwarding boards, that ran
a real-time OS.  These processors did have certain functions
custom-built in hardware.  Also, the processors can have coprocessors
-- the Nortel Shasta products, for example, have an encryption chip
more or less next to general board-level processors, with a
high-speed path between them.

Even with ASICs, the L2 and L3 decisions, rewrite, etc. often are in
separate chips. Remember a processor can be implemented as bit slices
operating in a set of ICs.