Stephen Hoover wrote:

> Ken,
>
>     Thanks for the input on this discussion. I follow and
> understand your
> example without any problems.
>
>     Now if taking it back to the original original question -
> Does L3
> switching require VLANs - produces this question for your
> example:
>
>     You state 1 fiber feed for both Science and Engineering in
> the Labs
> building. I am then assuming that they are all connected to the
> same set of
> switches (Layer 2) in that building.
>     Could you have not just simply assigned the hosts for
> Science to 1 IP
> network and the hosts for Engineering to another IP network -
> then created
> respective gateway interfaces for each network back on the
> common Layer 3
> switch and accomplished the same thing??

It depends on the meaning of "thing" in your "accomplish the same thing"
comment. :-)

I think you already figured out your confusion and maybe this message is
old, but I'll reply just in case.

With your design you would accomplish connectivity. However, you would not
accomplish separation of broadcast traffic for the two user communities.
VLANs in the L2-switched part of the network give you that. VLANs have lots
of features, but that's one of their primary ones.

I think Ken's example is one of the cleanest I've seen. I may have to borrow
it for my classes.

Thanks for a good discussion, Stephen.

THE END (hopefully! :-)

Priscilla