Newell Ryan D SrA 18 CS/SCBT wrote:

> > A collision could happen at the other end of the network
> segment.
>
> I thought on 10BaseT net a NIC was notified of a collision by
> its RX pin
> getting data. So if Station A was transmitting and it was on
> bit 27 and
> station B
> started TX and by the time it got Station As first bit and was
> on bit 2. Is
> the collision said to happen at the location the data crossed
> on the 'bus'
> or at the NIC?

Technically, the collision happens where the data crossed, which on old coax
cables caused a signal reflection and resulted in extra voltage that the
sender could sense. The theory and numbers come from these old networks and
thinking of it that way might help you understand it. In a hubbed network, I
don't think the signal reflection is really relevant, though. Plus the
collision could happen on the backplane of a hub.

You are right that on 10Base-T the NIC decides that there is a collision
when it receives data while sending.

> Back to example....Now that Station B knows of
> the collision
> it will finish its preamble and will send a jam signal. So will
> Station A. I
> can see how round trip would make sense.
>
> > News of the collision has to travel back to the senders.
>
> Would it be one of the senders sending jam signals?

No. The jam signal just extends the length of the time that they are both
sending. It extends the length of the time that the collision event occurs
so that nobody else jumps in.

> >The signal travels outwards; the collision news travels back.
>
> Not really sure what you mean.

My wording was old-fashioned. For 10Base-T, it should say "news of the other
transmitter travels back to the sender."

> I have been reading your book and the Ethernet book. I have
> been trying to
> figure this out all weekend. If a bit is 17.7 meters long and
> the max of a
> distance of a 10BaseT net is 500 meters

500 Meters?? It's 2500 meters. In one example of such a network, there can
be 5 segments, 4 repeaters (hubs), but only 3 segments can have end systems.
That's the infamous 5-4-3 "rule." It makes a lot of assumptions. Really, the
size of the network depends on round-trip propagation delay for the
particular equipment, cables, and cable lengths.

> with 4 hubs (20 bit
> times) that
> gives a grand total of 105 bit times. Is this the propagation
> delay of the
> cable? I've been trying to compare this to the definitive
> guides method and
> it is just not making sense in my mind. Seems like I'm over
> complicating a
> simple process.

No, it's really not simple. I admire you for working it out. Most people
just ingore the details! :-)

Good luck with it. Let me know if you have any further questions. It's hard
to explain it without spending huge amounts of time on the answers, but I'll
try!

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com