Michael Williams wrote:

> I know this question sounds silly, but I can't for the life of
> me figure out how to do this:

It's not silly, but I don't think there's an answer. I tried a few of the
EIGRP commands and didn't see what you seek. Maybe somebody else will have
more luck.

> Short of debugging, how can I tell the last EIGRP update that
> was received on a router, from what neighbor that update came,
> and for what network(s) it updated?

A protocol analyzer? ;-) And one that does a decent job with EIGRP. A lot of
them don't. I think EtherPeek does in its latest software. Network
Associates does a good job with EIGRP.

The only other answer that comes to mind is careful monitoring of what is
changing when you do show ip eigrp neighbor, show ip eigrp topology, etc.

> I know I can 'sh ip prot' and see when the last update was, but
> this isn't what I'm looking for.

You are sort of expecting the router to be a good troubleshooting tool. It's
really not. It's really just a router. It sees gazillions of packets. It
processes them and makes its topology table, etc. It may summarize the
packets so you can see statistics (show ip eigrp traffic), but it doesn't
keep around information on the packets beyond what it puts into its data
structures.

You can turn the router into a troubleshooting tool with the various debug
commands, of course. There's quite a few for EIGRP and at least one would
give you the info that you seek, (probably debug eigrp packet). But, you
didn't want to use debugging, for good reason probably.

Priscilla