Jim,

When you encapsulate your router interface with dot1q you are turning it
into a trunk port.  All of the traffic coming out of that port will be
tagged with a vlan id except for traffic generated on the native vlan.  By
default, any subinterface encapped with vlan 1 will be native and its
traffic will be untagged.  If you want a subinterface other than one
encapped as vlan 1 to generate untagged frames, then you will need to add
the "native" keyword to the end of the encap statement.

BTW:

1.  Encapping subifs to dot1q makes that interface a trunk port, but not a
switch port (does not generate stp frames, e.g).

2.  You need to connect this router port to a switch port that is a dot1q
trunk, and the native vlans must match (if you want it to work).

I have an Ethereal capture of traffic from such a port showing the native
vlan traffic untagged if you are interested.

HTH,

-Bob Sinclair
CCIE #10427, MCSE
Senior Network Engineer