""nrf""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ""The Long and Winding Road""  wrote in
> message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > ""supernet""  wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > A friend of mine wants to establish a business that use internet to
make
> > > phone calls. He wants to set up PSTN gateways in some countries and
sell
> > > IP phones to high speed customers so customers can talk to each other
> > > free of charge and they can call PSTN for a fee. I think net2phone.com
> > > has the same thing.
> >

> > Anyone remember Blue Kangaroo?
> >
> > Risky business model. Capital intense. High customer support costs.
> >
> > Businesses can get long distance nationwide at less than 3 cents a
minute
> > these days. I gotta wonder if there really is enough demand to make this
> > profitable business, given the thin margins.
>
> Yeah, but that's 3 cents a minute for calls in the US.  International
> tariffs are significantly more expensive and hence offer more
opportunities
> for arbitrage.

yeah, different assumptions mean different results. A couple three years ago
I was working at Well Known Clothing manufacturer in San Francisco. The
folks there were working hard to get VoIP toll bypass going between HQ and
their manufacturing plants in the far east. The number I heard was 80,000 a
month in potential savings - well worth investing a few thousand a month in
equipment and bandwidth for lease lines. I would imagine that these days,
voice over internet would be worth looking at  for that kind of money.

I still think, despite the continued cannibalization of the telco network,
the economics just does not favor telecom startups in this field. One would
hope that the telcos wake up and begin leveraging t=what they already have
in place. Too bad the regulatory environment discourages this.