> yeah, different assumptions mean different results. A couple three years
ago
> I was working at Well Known Clothing manufacturer in San Francisco. The
> folks there were working hard to get VoIP toll bypass going between HQ and
> their manufacturing plants in the far east. The number I heard was 80,000
> month in potential savings - well worth investing a few thousand a month
in
> equipment and bandwidth for lease lines. I would imagine that these days,
> voice over internet would be worth looking at  for that kind of money.
>
> I still think, despite the continued cannibalization of the telco network,
> the economics just does not favor telecom startups in this field. One
would
> hope that the telcos wake up and begin leveraging t=what they already have
> in place. Too bad the regulatory environment discourages this.

You mention economics serving to deter startups.  Although the regulatory
environment does indeed deter the lumbering dinosaurs from investing in
newer technologies,  the economics also are serving to deter incumbents.
Let's face it.  Telco incumbents, especially the BOC's, don't exactly have a
huge incentive to quickly replace something that still makes profit (TDM
voice) with something that doesn't, at least, not yet (the Internet).  While
I don't know exactly how many telcos actually generate consistent profit
from the Internet (not EBITDA, not cash-flow, not pro-forma profits, but
actual bonafide GAAP profit), I don't think I'd be too far off the mark if I
go with the guess of 'zero'.   How exactly are telcos supposed to
recapitalize their network from an old technology to a new one if the new
technology doesn't generate profit?   Couple that with the fact that any
telco that chooses to increase capex in order to shift from TDM to packet
will be punished unmercifully by WallStreet and you have the perfect recipe
for paralysis.