> Here it is (test.tex) - I looked back at my paragraph and realised
> there might be a misunderstanding - I was curious why The
> \usepackage{CJK} choked on the french diacritcs, even though it is
> outside of any \begin{CJK}\end{CJK} block. Perhaps the sample should
> make it clear (it compiles with CJKutf8 but choked on CJK).

Say

  \usepackage[encapsulated]{CJK}

This is documented behaviour, see CJK.txt.

> What exactly is it supposed to do?  emacs 23 seems to do thai (at
> least displaying it) alright on its own, although I don't know thai
> at all.

cjk-enc.el's main job is to insert zero-width space breaks at Thai
word boundaries.  It's essentially the same as the `cttex' word
separator program converted to elisp.

> Ironically I got cjk/examples/thai.tex to work against thailatex
> (and got AFAIK most bundled thailatex samples working), by edit just
> babel line.

Yes, it's very similar.  But for thailatex you must run the
preprocessor manually, or you get overlong lines.

> Here are the results - for some very strange and unknown reasons,
> thailatex does this (it is in the attached log):
>
>   LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `LTH/cmr/m/n' undefined
>   (Font)              using `LTH/norasi/m/n' instead on input line 22.
>
> But uses norasi anyway,

This is normal: The Babel language file `thai.ldf' activates LTH
encoding by default but doesn't switch to the `norasi' family, and
there is no such command in `thai.tex' which does that either.

> whereas CJK does this:
>
>   Missing character: There is no <undisplayablechar> in font cmr12!

Again, this is correct behaviour: Running the CJK package directly on
a Thai file doesn't work.  It must be preprocessed with cjk-enc.el
which inserts proper font switching commands, including the encoding.

LaTeX's font fallback mechanism finds a different font family for a
given encoding, but it can't guess the text's encoding.

> I had tried plain latex instead of pdflatex as well, and the
> intemediate dvi file references CMR rather than norasi - and I don't
> know why CJK thai somehow keep trying CMR despite not having any cmr
> references anywhere in the input files.

Apparently, you've missed the comment in the beginning of thai.tex:

  % This file should be processed with cjk-enc.el to get
  %
  %   . proper word breaks
  %   . font switching between Thai and non-Thai
  %   . intercharacter glue

:-)

    Werner