(since we are discussing thailatex and stuff, I'm adding the three maintainers
of thailatex to CC:)

(I had XeTeX working with Thai a week or two ago, then thailatex a few days
ago, and just got CJK/thai working also).

--- On Sun, 4/12/11, Werner LEMBERG <w...@gnu.org> wrote:

> > :-). Argh, I am getting there -
> cjk-enc.el *is* optional, but the
> > alternative is to add
> >
> >   \addto\extrasthaicjk{\fontencoding{C90}\selectfont}
> >
> > (and possibly adding
> >
> >   \begin{otherlanguage}{thaicjk}...\end{otherlanguage}
> >
> > ?) and suffers from bad word breaks?
>
> If you use thailatex without a preprocessor, you get
> similar bad word
> breaks.

Okay. Actually I haven't got hold of the word-breaking program of thailatex
(swath it is called, I think - it is not on CTAN). But it isn't as bad as
CJK/thai and seems to do okay enough with english-style word breaks (on spaces)?

swath isn't advertised on the front of thailatex's web site.

I found the problem with cjk-enc.el against emacs 23 (in a later e-mail - you
should have receive it by now) - it probably will take you a bit further effort
to beat it into shape for emacs 23.

> > I am actually after C70 with thai fonts though :-).
> (thailatex with
> > \usagepackage[utf8]{inputenc} works alright, or not
> noticeably bad).
>
> The C70 encoding is a special solution for cjk-enc.el;
> contrary to
> (almost all) other Cxx encodings, it doesn't need CJK's
> font selection
> mechanism.

Really? The problem I had with doing Thai in C70 encoding is the lack of font
support - the Arphic Chinese fonts don't have Thai glyphs, and the full example
you have in CJK (cyberbit) while does support Thai, the font itself is rather
ugly, and not "ready-to-use" in TexLive 2011 anyway.

> > Most of thaifont.txt are not needed for Texlive 2011 -
> they are
> > already done.
>
> Yes, some years ago I invested a lot of time (and I mean *a
> lot* of
> time) to set up everything for the CJK package within
> TeXLive.

Yes, I appreciate that - :-).

> > That's ironic: Texlive 2011 ships thailatex fonts
> ready for CJK's
> > use, but not for thailatex's own use.
>
> Thailatex is a rather recent addition to CTAN inspite of
> its age.
> IIRC, it wasn't present three years ago.  Karl Berry
> has added the
> font part of thailatex to TeXLive in 2009, but it seems to
> be a
> non-trivial issue to do the rest: Currently, the LaTeX
> files of
> thailatex are in `$TEXMF/source' only.
>
> I suspect the main problem is the dependency on a new
> binary, namely a
> Thai word separator program (not part of thailatex itself)
> which must
> be available on all platforms TeXLive supports.
> However, looking into
> the thailatex SVN repository, I see that Theppitak is doing
> a lot of
> work recently, so maybe things are moving.

Actually my main grief with thailatex is its odd circular division/dependency
with the thaifonts. Without a ready-made set of font files (tfm's, etc), it is
difficult to "try" thailatex as an add-on to an existing TexLive installation,
but to build the font files (the tfm's etc), some of the bits of thailatex
needed to be found by TexLive/MikTeX to build.

In fact the inter-dependency can be broken quite easily - copying two files
(the *.enc files) from thailatex to the thaifont directories allow the tfm/map
files to build. After doing that, it is just populating those combination of
files from thailatex and thaifonts-* into a few user directories and setting 6
enviroment variables to 6 groups of files to have an entirely out-of-tree
installation of thailatex from TexLive 2011. (or if one so wishes, putting the
6 groups of files directly into an existing Texlive installation).