On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 06:46:42AM +0000, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> --- On Mon, 5/12/11, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <t...@linux.thai.net> wrote:
>
> > My next plan, then, is to clean up the Thai language
> > definition
> > and submit it for inclusion in upstream babel, and
> > thailatex
> > won't be needed any more, only the fonts left for users to
> > install.
> > (Could someone suggest me who to contact?)
>
> Actually I don't find that necessary - the thai.ldf file only needs to be
> found somewhere under TEXMF (or equivalently, a user's TEXINPUTS) to be
> used by babel, and there is no need to modify babel at all, despite some
> of the instrucions on the web says. The enc files and sty files are needed
> so you might as well ship a package of your own.

Yes, I know it's not necessary, and that's how it works so far.
I just want to get rid of it if possible, and only maintain the fonts
instead.

The Babel modification is a trace from previous maintainers,
which was said to support LyX document template more seamlessly.
Not a LyX user, I have no idea about that.

> > I'm not sure if I understand what you said.
>
> What I mean is, it is not easy to have an outside-$TEXMF user installation
> of thailatex (i.e. one entirely in the user's $HOME), because of the
> strange build dependency.

Which is not circular.

> > Of course, you can't try it without a font. So, speaking in
> > terms
> > of Debian packaging, all you need is apt-get the font
> > package,
> > and thailatex will be pulled-in as dependency. Also,
> > thailatex is
> > a build-dependency of the font package, never in the other
> > way
> > round.
>
> I don't use Debian. Used to work daily with one of the ex-Debian project
> leaders (and a few Debian fanatics) for a few years, and that puts me off
> Debian completely. (Use slackware for years and still for server installs,
> and fedora for desktop/laptops).

Well, the Debian case is for explanation's sake. I mean to say there is no
such circular dependency. It's uni-directional.

> > To install it manually, one just installs thailatex before
> > building
> > the fonts, and it's done.
>
> That's the part I found wrongly designed - one does not want to install a
> non-functional piece of software just to build another piece of software,
> with the hope that the resulting combination would become functional.

I can't understand this. So, all software should be monolithic and should
not be splitted into library modules, as the libraries are not functional
by themselves?

> > The *.enc files are to be shared by font packages. In the
> > end,
> > when thailatex is finally disbanded, lthuni.enc is meant to
> > be shipped
> > with babel, and the other stuffs, thailigs.enc and
> > thai-dummy.afm, may
> > be copied to the fonts, if not get included upstream.
> >
> > But for the time being, shipping it with thailatex is more
> > convenient
> > for sharing and updating.
>
> Not really. The *.enc files needs to be found by dvips/pdftex's font
> backends, so they are logically part of the font bundles rather than the
> preprocessor bundles.

Oh, I was confused with the lthenc.def when saying this. Sorry.
Yes, the *.enc files should be shipped with the fonts.

Instead, the distiction is that lthuni.enc is needed on rendering and
should be publicly installed, while thailigs.enc and thai-dummy.afm are
private files which are only used at build time.

> I think a better way of looking at it, is at what stage files are needed,
> if you stick to the latex->dvi->ps/pdf regime. (instead of the one-step
> pdflatex/XeTeX). The enc files aren't needed in the first stage I think,
> whereas the sty files aren't used in the 2nd stage.
> (although, I surely understand the need of separating parts which are
> still-in-progress and need further updates and fast-changing, from parts
> which don't - so the gyphs themselves - the sfd files, would be ideally
> separated from the enc files for ease of maintainance.)

In fact, at the design stage of the previous change, I even got a crazy
idea to split the shared *.enc files into a so-called
latex-fonts-thai-common package, but finally dismissed it, for simplicity.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/