So, I've been using ClamAV quite successfully since the days of .66,
and I've got a new problem. A user of mine is sending out a large (but
not humongous - ~500kb) that is filled with lots of equations and other
complicated stuff from Outlook (though
there are problems with other mailers too).

What's happening is this: user sends email, and while the connection is
still open, sendmail passes the message via milter to Clam, which scans
it for viruses. A minute and a half later, Clam has decided that the
email is virus-free,  sendmail sends a "250 Message accepted for
delivery", and the message is sent.

However, the problem comes in because Outlook (and Squirrelmail, our
web-based email) has timed out the SMTP connection in that minute and a
half. This is particularly annoying with Outlook because Outlook will
attempt to resend the already-sent email over and over.

Does this sound like my sendmail/milter setup is broken? Or is this the
way things are supposed to work? I'm planning a transition to Postfix
for this summer (since I'm not a Sendmail expert by any means), but if
there's a change I can make now, that'd be even better.

Thanks!

--
Dan Bongert                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SSCC Unix System Administrator