On Mar 22, 2005, at 4:58 AM, Rob MacGregor wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:01:48 -0400, Samuel Benzaquen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I can also say that they don't want to compete against commercial AV vendors
as I have read here 2^32 times that we should use not _only_ clamav, but a
list of AVs to improve the chances to catch malware.

Best practice for security always involves defence in depth. Basing all your protection on a single AV product, given that *none* of them are 100% effective, would be short sighted (and particularly given the current spate of attacks on AV products).

Personally, my gripe is that the product is called ClamAV. If it's expanding it's mission to protect people from everything called "malware", I'd change the name to something that indicates it's a malware detector and not a virus detector. Phishing scams are *not* viruses. Maybe change it's name to ClaMal. It'll make the O'Reilly book cover look interesting, too.

But this would probably never happen.  *shrug*