Brian Read wrote:

> >Block all mails from dynamic IP. They are 99,99% spam.

> No they aren't that "rule" causes quite a few of my customers a
> headache, as the (linux) mailserver I often install sends the email
> direct, irrespective of whether there Ip is "dynamic" or "static".  Some
> ISPs charge an arm and a leg for static IPs.

 There are reasonable ISP's, (pricewise), with regards to static ranges.

 There is however the fact that whether the IP's are static or dynamic,
business or domestic class, some ISP's, (mentioning no names), impose
relay restrictions by the domain part in the *sender* address, if you try
doing it the 'relay through ISP's mailhost' way. Which does leave the
choice of having the MTA connect directly to retain the correct domain
part of the senders mail address. This bumph about people shouldn't be
allowed to run a direct MTA to MTA setup unless they have static IP's is
nonsense. One might even say that it is MTA (elitism|snobbery). There are
plenty of legitimate MTA setups running on dynamic IP's. A lot of the time
they are configured in a better fashion than the service providers own
MTA's that most would have them relay through. There really is no
legitimate reason for blocking dynamic IP ranges at the outset. What
really does amaze me though, is that these are generally the admins who
will turn around and say, 'Don't block (variable), you will lose too
much legitimate mail'. Where is the logic in that? They will allow a
crappily configured multinational corporation or ISP to connect, yet not
give dynamics the slightest chance to prove their reliability.

Matt