On Monday 16 May 2005 04:43 pm, Dennis Peterson wrote:
> John Jolet said:
> > Matt Fretwell wrote:
> >

> > This email, for instance was sent from a properly configured mta running
> > antispam and antivirus scanning in BOTH directions, from a dynamic ip.
> > If my wife sends email from her computer, it goes to the isp's mta,
> > which does inbound only scanning.  I have several rules in place for
> > postfix to force it to use my isp's mta for domains that refuse traffic
> > from dynamic or "residential" ip addresses.  The price for a
> > non-residential ip from my isp is nearly double that for residential.
> > Do I get any added-value service for that?  No, in fact, I lose the
> > ability to take faulty equipment directly to the service center for
> > replacement, instead of waiting for a service call.  I think more people
> > running mtas would take the tack of examining the TRAFFIC, not the IP it
> > came from.  That's just laziness.
>
> Most of the spam I've gotten the last three days is from comcast.net.
> Apparently they allow their customers to send out to port 25. They should
> lock that down so that spam goes out through their own servers so they can
> feel the pain when they are blacklisted for incompetence. If you need to
> run your own stand-alone mail service you should pay the price for the
> privilege.
>
> Nobody should send mail directly unless it is filtered outbound. In fact,
> that would be a good blacklist: real-time-morons.org. I'd even toss in
> systems that NDR after the connection is closed as they have no idea at
> that point whe the sender is.
>
> dp

That was my point.  My mail IS filtered outbound.  So I should have to pay
double for the privilege of controlling my own email?  How about this...I
send an email to a client via my isp's mta.  There's a problem, but I don't
find out about it for 5 days.  I lose business.  On the other hand, I send
the email direct, I've got my installation set to notify me of problems after
minutes, not days.  I can do that because I'm my only customer.  I know
nearly every email that gets sent out and can be very responsive to problems.
I should double my fee for that single advantage?  Not sure I buy that.
That's a microsoft-type business plan.
--
John Jolet
Technology Solutions