On Jun 6, 2005, at 12:10 PM, Kevin W. Gagel wrote:

On 6/6/2005 5:54 PM +0200, Kevin W. Gagel wrote:
Tomasz,

The best defence against such childish behaviour is to
consider the source and not bother to respond.

You're above such childish behaviour, the child is not.
Don't bother responding to it...

I'll bite, who's childish ? We can't tell, because you
decided to top-post.

Niek Baakman

I don't think it matters who started it or who ends it.

Thanks to all the volunteers who have added their coding
skills to ClamAV. Excellent job and great effort.

Thanks to all who conribute in countless other ways.

Without your efferts many of us would be at the whims of
closed source, capitalistic business practices and subject
to slow or non existant help.

You guys rock!

While the developers do work hard and have done a great job, that doesn't really resolve the problem here that, it appears to me anyway, there was an attitude problem towards someone who may be new to the list trying to help and subsequently getting a virtual slap to the face for it. Does the original poster have a history of being a problem or troll? I didn't see in this thread where he was out of line, but it certainly appears that others were.

It's a little odd to me that some would go out of their way to insult the guy then say "oh well, it doesn't matter because CLAMAV ROCKS MAN!! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! WOOO YEAH!". This thread had nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not the team is doing a good job, it's routinely acknowledged on this list that they do a great job and it's not an easy one. What this thread was about, again from what I can tell, was a guy trying to contribute to the group and getting crap for it which is rather inappropriate in my opinion. If you don't like what he was trying to do, then I do think there are better ways of handling it than have been acknowledged on the list, and not resolving it can make the developers and the participants in this list look rather elitist and will not help ClamAV's image with other users when trying to be taken seriously. If there's another way to get things submitted, tell him. If he already did and hadn't gotten feedback, maybe there could be some people who would coordinate some form of feedback system on whether a sample is in the works or in the queue or something like that or an automated sig-maker system could be worked on as a project. If the things he is asking be included in the malware detection code isn't going to do it because the developers have vetoed it, then tell him. Don't just insult the guy. Geez. :-(