Ian Eiloart wrote:

> Because ordinary users and IT staff have different needs. Regardless of
> what professionals actually do, they bloody well ought to think about it
> first.

You are absolutely, 100% correct.

I am also correct when I say that expecting that to happen in the real
world is pretty naive :-) Software developers have a responsibility to
make sure that upgrades happen with as few surprises as possible.

As a concrete example: When PhishingScanURLs went on by default, I thought
it was OK.  Our mail server doesn't get enough volume to make the excessive
CPU use a problem.  Our larger customers got a nasty surprise, though.
There simply wasn't enough information about the new feature for professionals
to decide about it without reading the source code.  Once I read the source
code, it became obvious to me that it was a really bad idea and a really
terrible implementation, so we scurried around turning it off on our customer
installations.  We shouldn't have had to do that.  I shouldn't have to read
source code to decide whether or not to use a new feature.

> I don't mean the new feature should be on by default. Just that clamav
> should start even in the absence of a config file with a setting for that
> feature. So that the new code is backwardly compatible with the old config
> file.

Agreed, and the default setting for new features (in the absence of a config
file) should be "off".

Regards,

David.