Hello,
I'm on a MacBookPro running 10.4.11 with xcode 2.5 and I tried your suggestion "export CC=gcc-3.4" and I got this error:

checking for gcc... gcc-3.4
checking for C compiler default output file name...
See `config.log' for more details.

Here is what saw in config.log:

./configure: line 1: gcc-3.4: command not found
configure:3220: $? = 127
configure:3258: result:
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE "clamav"
| #define VERSION "0.92"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:3265: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

I'll play around here to what will work on Mac OS X with configuring clamav.

Thank you,
Frank

Per Jessen wrote:
 I guess there was no other way than to make clamav dependent on gcc, but
 it sure is bad timing.Ê
 Only a week before Christmas, most systems are frozen, people have
 already left for vacation etc.  Updating clamav is within reason for
 us, but upgrading gcc too ...
ÊÊ

You don't need to upgrade to 4.1.2/4.2.x.
gcc-3.4 can be nicely installed side-by-side with a 4.0.x/4.1.0 series
gcc, all you need to do is:

# apt-get install gcc-3.4
$ export CC=gcc-3.4
$ ./configure

 Was/is there absolutely no way of fixing this gcc problem in the clamav
 source?
ÊÊ

There are bounds checks in the code, that the compiler removes, thus
leaving clamav vulnerable and crashing.
Sorry, but that is a broken compiler version.

--Edwin