On Sam, 2008-10-04 at 22:38 +0200, Colin Alston wrote:
> On 2008/10/04 10:15 PM Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> >> users to sit and audit each change. On Ubuntu for example there can be
> >> as many as 30 to 50 updates a week.
> >
> > Using a desktop distribution on a server was *your* decision. And you
> > really *must* upgrade that much?
> > Probably not really.
>
> It's an example, don't get personal.
>
> Life works like this: Upstream -> Distribution -> Users

There are several different distributions (if one counts the large ones
only). Some are there own distributors (e.g. because the run it on an
old distribution). Some users have actually external people doing that.
So what?

> Expecting everyone to manage splintered code bases instead of their
> distribution when they don't like something is unreasonable. I'm not a
> distribution, and I don't intend to be one.

Then you have to choose from the existing ones.

> ClamAV is complicated by the fact that it needs to update its
> database. I already explained that I can't keep to the distribution
> releases because the current database causes the 'stable' release to
> break.
>
> Are you telling me that my choice is either to have ineffective virus
> signatures or spend the rest of time maintaining a whole new package?

No, just contribute some script (in time) which comments out the killed
options.
Or probably even simpler: Write a patch to add an option, command-line
parameter, whatever for "Die on unknown options" (but keep syslog-ging
and fprintf(stderr) etc.). So everyone can choose the desired behaviour.
Problem solved.

> Why not just fix the problem at the source, then everyone benefits?

Yes, please fix your problem at the source. But please don't tell others
to fix your problems.

> >> ClamAV isn't the only thing sys-admins have to look after.
> >
> > So you try now to move *your* work to someone else for free?
> > Please get real.
>
> This particular problem is a project management culture, not something

Everyone can improve that (or at least help to it).

> that particularly interesting code patches.

        Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services