David F. Skoll wrote:
> Dennis Peterson wrote:
>
>> This seems a bit dramatic. Nobody is suffering. It takes but 10 minutes
>> 3 or 4 times each year to visit and modify the ClamAV config files, if
>> at all. Somebody's inner drama queen is getting the best of them here.
>
> If you are managing one machined or a few identically-configured machines,
> that's true.  If you are managing 500+ customer machines, each of which
> may have had local modifications, Clam's policy is *really* annoying.
>
> I don't understand the resistance to a proposal that will make ClamAV
> much better software, with very little developer effort and no impact
> on users who don't care about the change.

Annoying is not the same as suffering. Oracle is annoying - perl is
insufferable. Java is even worse. And 500 machines that are different
enough to affect ClamAV configurations probably have other more serious
configuration problems. You need to classify those machines and knock
off some class-based templates and be done with it. I don't see that as
a vendor problem.

dp