On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Bernd Petrovitsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > users could take the appropriate action ASAP instead of finding out or
> > > having to check the logs on an hourly basis for problems.
> >
> > You're (by you I mean everyone agreeing here with how ClamAV fails)
> > assuming users install packages. That's old fashioned.
> > Most people distribute updates with Puppet and such tools
> > automatically. With a largely complex system (which a good mail system
>

> And it was *their* decision to do so.
> And it was *their* decision to actually use the free as in beer ClamAV
> in the first place. Perhaps these people should move to a commercial
> virus-scanner where such problems probably do not happen.

That's one kind of argument I cannot stand for.
Because one decide to use a "free as in free beer" software one must suffer
due this decision.
"Ah, you choose clamav: now you will be doomed".
Why?
Why free software has to be harder (or with more problem) than a commercial
one and one must accept that?

That's the kind of argument that takes people away from free/open source
software.

Free/Open source softwar should be as nice as any other commercial - or not
- software out there.
There are great software - free or not - and bad software - free or not.

I cannot agree with this myth that commercial software is better than free.
There are bad and good software.

I consider ClamAV an excellent software and this thread is an example that
it can be improved.