On Fre, 2008-10-03 at 20:37 +0200, Colin Alston wrote:
> On 2008/10/03 05:57 PM James Kosin wrote:
> > Colin Alston wrote:
> >> I've had enough now, and I want all you ClamAV people to listen up.
> >
> > Hay, maybe the packagers could write a script or something to indicate a
> > problem with the current configuration when it is being installed.  Then

Hey, maybe people who absolutely need a seamless upgrade will do that.

> > users could take the appropriate action ASAP instead of finding out or
> > having to check the logs on an hourly basis for problems.
>
> You're (by you I mean everyone agreeing here with how ClamAV fails)
> assuming users install packages. That's old fashioned.
> Most people distribute updates with Puppet and such tools
> automatically. With a largely complex system (which a good mail system

And it was *their* decision to do so.
And it was *their* decision to actually use the free as in beer ClamAV
in the first place. Perhaps these people should move to a commercial
virus-scanner where such problems probably do not happen.

> can very easily be) the amount of man hours required to audit change
> logs of every single update with the frequency of updates required for
> tools specific to security (which ClamAV certainly is) is simply not
> feasible. You're asking on top of the distribution maintainers for end

The problem is that that is *your* primary job as an admin to do exactly
that. If you can't do it, find someone who can do it.

> users to sit and audit each change. On Ubuntu for example there can be
> as many as 30 to 50 updates a week.

Using a desktop distribution on a server was *your* decision. And you
really *must* upgrade that much?
Probably not really.

> While many (well, all) package management tools *do* have
> configuration upgraders, they can only do so well at trying to
> negotiate a merge between custom configurations and your own. This
> doesn't work well at all in automation.
>
> ClamAV isn't the only thing sys-admins have to look after.

So you try now to move *your* work to someone else for free?
Please get real.

        Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services