At 2:16 PM +0100 11/21/09, Luca Gibelli wrote:
Hello,

 > FYI, I'm still getting the submission error.
> ERROR: SubmitDetectionStats: Remote server reported temporary failure: under maintenance
 it looks like it will need some more time. I hope it will be back online
 by monday.

The service is back online.

We are trying to do the best that we can with the resources we have.

I had to take the service down because we were running short of space
and our budget currently doesn't allow to allocate more resources to this
service.

Admittedly, this sucks.

Good news is that I made use of this time to add support for "per user
statistics", a new feature that will be launched together with 0.96
(see our roadmap: http://www.clamav.net/about/roadmap).

I'm always receptive to constructive criticism and advice and I'm happy
that so many people on this mailing list were able to provide such an
high-level feedback in this occasion.

Luca,

I must admit that I do not understand what kind of space issues would require bringing an entire realtime reporting system offline for a week. That said, I and others on this list do appreciate your efforts especially under budget constraints.

I do feel that if clamav/sourcefire is going to provide any realtime service, such as stats or your standard signature distributions, you need to provide a status page, maybe using mrtg or something equivalent along with manual generated messages when situations become dire, to inform the user community of what is going on. Realtime systems owe their users proactive reporting and not responses to list questions such as "are you down?" hours or days later.

The scheduled capabilities in your roadmap for deployment just 70 to 90 days away include even more realtime services such as extended and per user stats and infrastructure for 3rd party stats yet there is no mention of a clamav.net infrastructure operational status reporting system nor hardware upgrades to mitegate the current lack of capabilities.

Based upon your budget and equipment constraints as stated above, the recent outage, and considering the increased realtime services to be made available shortly, the user community needs a status dashhboard at clamav.net for now and for the future.

Luca, I know you are stressed and I will offer some help for this project during my free time ;-) if you need and I am sure that others on this list will offer support as well..

Tom