On 02/28/2011 09:39 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
On 2/28/2011 10:03 AM, Royce Williams wrote:
For future-proofing purposes, would it be feasible to enable
optionally tagging a signature with its minimum supported ClamAV
version?

In other words, the entry is tagged with "min 0.98.2", and if you're
running 0.98.1, it ignores it, but complains loudly so that people
know that they're running less-than-complete signature set.  This
would allow folks to plan and execute a scheduled upgrade, instead of
a panicked one.
ClamAV 0.96 was released in April of 2010.  How much time do you need to
schedule an upgrade?  If my servers were still running an old version a
month after an update, I would consider it a serious problem.  AV
programs need to be kept up to date in order to provide the best protection.

Sadly, I have to agree. AV / Malware detection-prevention programs need to be kept up to date. Malware / virus writers do not write for the long haul. They are (for the most part) only interested in the here and now. For the most part, if your AV can not detect the latest it is almost worthless. With the Internet there will always be old viruses lurking but these mostly provide a nuisance rather than a major threat. The virus writers are on to bigger and better things than trying to exploit a single un-updated system.

Again, just my 2 cents

--
Jim Preston