On 07/14/2011 07:57 PM, James Ralston wrote:
> On 2011-07-11 at 13:40-04 Christopher X Candreva <ch...@westnet.com> wrote:
>
>> I have one machine run freshclam, and use rsync to update all my
>> other servers with the databases.  The clamav user has to have ssl
>> keys set up so it can ssh to the other servers without a password.
>> Then, freshclam.conf has this: ...
>
> Yeah, we've considered setting up something similar.  It wouldn't be
> that difficult.
>
> But the thing is, freshclam already has 99% of the code to do this.
> All it needs is a "keep the CDIFF files around" option (to enable on
> the master) and a "try to grab the CLD file if the CVD file isn't
> available" option (to enable on the clients).  That's it.

I think downloading CLD file is sufficient.
On a LAN it'll probably be faster than downloading&applying all the individual
updates.

I think you might be able to configure freshclam to download CLDs with
DatabaseCustomURL.
Something like this (untested):
DatabaseMirror <internal-server-with-some-older-version-of-cvds>
DatabaseCustomURL http://<your-internal-webserver>/main.cld
DatabaseCustomURL http://<your-internal-webserver>/main.cvd
DatabaseCustomURL http://<your-internal-webserver>/daily.cld
DatabaseCustomURL http://<your-internal-webserver>/daily.cvd
DatabaseCustomURL http://<your-internal-webserver>/bytecode.cld
DatabaseCustomURL http://<your-internal-webserver>/bytecode.cvd
DatabaseCustomURL http://<your-internal-webserver>/safebrowsing.cld
DatabaseCustomURL http://<your-internal-webserver>/safebrowsing.cvd

The CLD files are digitally signed too, so you get almost the same integrity
checks as with the CVD already.

> It just seems silly to (essentially) write another version of
> freshclam when the current version just needs two new options to do
> what is necessary.
>
> On 2011-07-11 14:57:31 -0400 Nathan Gibbs <nat...@cmpublishers.com> wrote:
>
>> We use the mirrored system, and it works fairly well.  One freshclam
>> pulling cvd's from outside, several freshclams pulling from the
>> local mirror.  The only issue we have is the mirror getting behind
>> every once in a while, not much of a big deal.
>
> Alas, our mirror gets behind much more frequently.  I don't know if we
> keep landing on overloaded mirrors or what, but it's an issue for us.
>
> On 2011-07-13 00:01:26 +0200 Luca Gibelli <l...@clamav.net> wrote:
>
>>> We are in a situation where we have multiple hosts that need to
>>> run ClamAV, but those hosts are highly restricted in what outbound
>>> Internet access they have.  Thus, we need to run a local ClamAV
>>> mirror.
>>
>> You can install a http proxy server and restrict access to cvd+cdiff
>> files on db.*.clamav.net.
>
> I appreciate the suggestion, but to clarify: we are prohibited by
> policy from allowing any outbound web access for these hosts, proxied
> or not.  (The policy is dictated from on high, and will not change.)
> We *MUST* use a local private mirror, period.
>
> It would seem that we aren't the only ones who are contemplating
> hacking together our own "distribution from a local mirror" mechanism,
> because freshclam's solution just isn't adequate/efficient.
>
> If I were to provide a patch that adds the two options I discussed
> above to freshclam, would you at least consider accepting it into
> trunk?
>
> We need this functionality.  But if you won't accept a patch to add
> it, then we will have to throw away freshclam and design our own
> solution, because I don't want to be put in the situation where I have
> to maintain my own local patches and update them after every release.

Please open an enhancement request on bugzilla.

Thanks,
--Edwin