G.W. Haywood wrote:
The ClamAV database mirrors appear to have a growing capacity problem.
Torrents are intended to alleviate the problem, and it takes, oh, ten
minutes to set one up.  Scripts already exist which could be adapted
fairly easily to use torrents instead of mirrors to download the data.
The DNS tells us the filenames to ask for.  Anybody can run a torrent,
the torrent software can control the data rates used by clients, and a
network of torrents is a much more challenging target for the Bad Guys
than a few mirrors.  So what's the problem?

Maybe I just don't understand enough about how torrents actually work... but wouldn't you need to update the .torrent every time the virus database changed?

I don't think the standard torrent protocol includes any support for something like that...

-kgd