On 9/13/2011 9:03 PM, Bryan Burke wrote:
>> My logs show successful update sources in the last line, but not when there
>> is no update.
>
> Ok, well I did check the output of the grep before posting the number of
> lines on this
> list, and all log entries mentioning that IP were failures. So there's still
> *technically*
> some gray area, in that, if it happened to query that IP successfully, and
> there was no
> update, we'd never know, but I'm guessing that would reveal a similar outcome.

There is no grey area.  All connections are logged, both successful
and unsuccessful.   When DNS reports there is no update available,
no connection is attempted and consequently there is no IP to log.

>From a well-connected host near Nashville TN USA:
# tcping 88.198.67.125 80
88.198.67.125 port 80 closed.

I get identical "port 80 closed" results from several hosts on
various major USA ISPs.

Logs going back a couple weeks show several failures each day and
zero successful downloads from this host for us.

While I certainly appreciate the donation of hardware and bandwidth
by the owners of 88.198.67.125, a host that is consistently
unavailable should be removed from the pool until it can be reliably
accessed.

  -- Noel Jones